Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Separate Peace

I’ve come here to this place, only knowing that I want to break free
If only a moment to cause the stars in my heart to fall
And bring back the sun from the dead
In the evanescence of this place, I am safe inside myself
For the first time in years.

I forget that space I have placed
Between the daylight and the darkness
Between my heart and my God
As long as I can stay in this embrace
Please keep the coldness of the black night outside
I don’t want to live there anymore.

I’ve walked the Road to Perdition at night
And I’ve walked it during the twilight
But now I’ve lost all sense of the
Distance to my destination
I don’t care if I get there now or in another day,
I know that this separate peace will be a part of me
Every step of the way
And for once, I am walking the road during the dawn.

True light cannot be far away
God will take care of my heart
And I trust Him, because I love Him—He will care for my heart
The night holds no magic over my heart anymore
I’m not losing to the darkness today.


-------------------------------------------
Another response to a school assignment, which asked the question: "When was the last time you forgot your distance?"

This poem is in conjunction with an analysis of the novel A Separate Peace (which I will post shortly) where I discuss, among other things, the meaning of the title. The title applies to me in a way that I describe in a post entitled "Revelations" on my blog "The Rainmaker Confessions." In case you don't wish to look into it that deeply: this poem is about a brilliant, shining moment in my life where I felt, for the first time, a sense of peace. This separate peace made me forget about my distance. I'm sure my teacher doesn't understand, and that I didn't bring this feeling across very well in this poem. But hey.
--------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home